View Single Post
Old November 18th, 2007, 09:03 PM

Now for my questions:

Quote:
Carefresh bedding is pricy and I was wondering if there was something else that would be just as good but a little cheaper(if she gives up her chin to me I will buy carefresh).
Carefresh is definately the best for chin's. Shaving and such get caught in their furr, and is uncomfortable for them. What about Yesterday's News? I'm not sure if that is cheaper or not though.

Quote:
How much pellets should she have a day, I know you need to be careful that they don't have too many so they don't get fat but how much should they have in the morning and evening.
About 1-2 tablespoons of pellets a day, usually given in the evening because they are nocturnal animals, and that's when they are most active. I never really measured with mine though, and ended up giving a small handful. If you want to feed in the morning or mid day, that is ok too, just try to make feeding time consistent. (less stressful on them that way)

Quote:
If she doesn't eat the hay what other alternatives are there for ruffage(sp).
Does she eat any types of hay, like timothy or alfalfa? They need a constant supply of hay to get the proper fiber in their diet.

Quote:
I tried to find other toys but there doesn't seem to be many where I live, I looked at bird toys but they all had chains or plastic parts. I read they like bells but what else do they like.
I know that I bought alfalfa cubes for my chinchilla, and before he would eat it, he would toss it around his cage for a while, using it as a toy Also, they like to be outside of their cages (with supervision) and that in itself is play time for them. This website has some neat toys for chin's though, and you could probably find most of them in your local pet store
http://www.chinworld.com/sitemap/CW03.html

Quote:
She is shedding/molting right now and she looks a little skinny to me or do they normaly look slimmer when shedding/molting and then fill out when the newer fur grows in more(she's not bald anywhere). I can't pick her up....as of yet to see if she feels skinny. She just doesn't have that rounded look like I have seen in the many photos of chins on the net.
I'm not too sure about what their weight should be. I know that with mine, he felt pretty plump. It's hard to tell because they have so much fur, which is naturally puffy, and gives their body a false image. Try just giving her a feel when you are able to pick her up, and go from there. Also, if you're giving her the right amount of food, hay and water, and she is eating it, then she should be good

Quote:
In short I just want to educate her a little more and if she decides she doesn't want her anymore then I will take her. I cannot keep her but between myself and my mom we know a lot of animal lovers and should be able to find her a good home with a return to us policy if they change their minds. Oh she's also not all that tame, she doesn't run from you when you put your hand in the cage, she'll sniff and then do a little snort. Is there anything in particular I could do to get her tame as I have read that they like to be petted in time and like little scratches.
Just spend time with her and bond with her. If she is not use to company, then she is probably nervous.

Quote:
I just want to help the poor little girl(chin not my sister inlaw), she just seems to be missing out on life.
Good Luck!!

Thank you in advance for any advice/tips. I just feel bad for her and don't want to start any family wars.[/QUOTE]