View Single Post
Old October 28th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Senior Contributor

We have itching too. First thing the Vet wanted to do was stop the itching to prevent damage to the skin. Damage to the skin might admit infection. To do that, yes, steroids; Vanactyl P which was dosed in decreasing amounts for about 3.5 weeks and stopped. Along with Reactine twice a day.

I will note here that vinegar rinses did help control the itching but we had to repeat a couple of times a day. Epsom salts and oatmeal were also suggested to me and the salts also worked. Haven't tried the oatmeal. Perhaps it is not working on your dog because the itch has been allowed to get too advanced?

Once drugs were stopped the itching returned but found we could maintain on a Van. P once every second day and the Reactine twice a day. That's only 2 mg of steroid every second day for a Lab. Not ideal but not a high dose at all.

I have the advantage of last year when all itching cleared right up over late Fall and Winter, thus we suspect seasonal allergies, pollen, not food. He itched on all three foods, including a grain free and three different main protein and filler sources, and he was fine all Winter on the same three.

I have stopped the Van. P completely and only giving a Reactine occasionnally now. It's been below freezing the last three nights and the pollen diagnosis seems to be right on again. No itching and no drugs. Hope this helps, perhaps you should let your VEt know what you're doing isn't working and explore other options?