Thread: Sicko
View Single Post
Old December 19th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by want4rain View Post
sorry but this whole universal health care thing just slays me!! i have more to say!!!

-ashley
You forgot to say that Michael Moore plays quite loose with facts in his movies, which makes them something less than documentaries.

The entire premise of Roger & Me was a complete fabrication, for example, since Moore did meet with the GM chairman a couple of times for hours at a time.

That kind of inventiveness pervades all of his films.

However, if we wanted to broaden our horizons we could admit Moore successfully brings important issues to the forefront of public attention. That's as far as I'll go, though. Given his loose relationship with facts, he's hardly someone to offer respect to. He's his own worst enemy and therefore easy to dismiss out of hand.

As to public versus private healthcare, my observation is the debate in both Canada and the USA is hampered by the very shrill partisans on both sides who employ scare tactics to diss each other.

It seems obvious both systems could learn something from the other, that more public healthcare would be beneficial to the extremely inefficient and wasteful USA system and more opportunity for private care would be helpful to unnecessary backlogs in Canada. In fact, Canada, I think, is one of only three countries in the world without some allowance for private care, along with North Korea and some other dictatorship.

I'm fortunate in life to have some means myself to look offshore in places like America or even to places like India or Costa Rica which are gaining widespread recommendations for American-trained doctors in pristine facilities catering to foreigners at a fraction of the cost of treatment in the USA or without the long waits of the Canadian system. If I were in a desperate position, I'd certainly look at those options . . . . . but why should I? Why not allow those options in Canada for doctors working 25% of their time in the private sector but a mandated 75% of their time in the public sector?

The scaremongers drown any kind of common sense argument.

I was down in California a few weeks ago and ran into a guy who said people were urging one of his relatives to move to Canada so she could then afford to treat her chronic illness. As a Canadian taxpayer, I was standing there listening to this wondering if I wanted seriously ill people moving to my country for the express purpose of clogging up the system even more. But I could certainly see the attraction of someone of limited means wanting to escape the American system.

There needs to be a serious debate in both countries, minus the shrill partisans, to apply some common sense to both situations.

vote libertarian!!

My favourite Libertarian is on another off-topic board and we've spent many hours beating each other about the head, respectfully. Even though I'm an arch-capitalist, Libertarianism is a non-seller as near as I can tell.

But, as a Libertarian, you must admire the irony in people freely choosing to ignore the attractions of Libertarianism!!!

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca