View Single Post
Old May 1st, 2012, 07:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Without observing your interaction with her I will guess she is poorly socialized. I am interrupted in my reply to you right now by the demands of a feral cat I am working on. He wants me to pet him.

Andy is my third feral and I have found a couple of key things with all three is play. They have all been afraid of my hands, my face and my movement. What I like best to play with is the Magic Stick. LOL. It's just a two foot or so bit of twig I cut off one of our bushes but it engages them in play from a bit of a distance from my hands and gets them used to my hands moving at the same time. I poke it under and ol fleece jacket that Andy likes to play and sleep on and he can't resist it.

Once I notice he is looking at me when the stick stops moving I know it's time to up the ante. I start out sitting quietly and making small hand moves. I draw him over my lap. Then I have to do the same tning all over again but kneeling, then standing.

Another favourite toy is a string on a stick. I can graduate to leading him all over the room with great big sweeping moves of my hand.

I don't like cats wrestling with my hand so I give them a stuffed toy to do that with. Or I bring the dog in. Good luck. Hopefully your wee girl is not as wild as this one was and comes around sooner. She is much younger and that will help too.