Thread: Stubborn Cat
View Single Post
Old January 31st, 2008, 01:19 PM

I am so sorry you are having such a rough time with your new kitty. :sad: Our cat did the same type of thing. We finally used the catch pole and covered the hole. The cat freaked out during the whole catching procedure and was a little apprehensive for a while to come around...however she eventually came around with food and soft voice for encouragement. We've had our cat for almost 14 years now and she is still jumpy. I would say do the catch pole now and cover the hole. It will not harm him...make him mad..yes. The sooner you get him down the sooner he can start to calm down and start to get to know you are a friend and only there to love him. I think by leaving him up there his health could become a factor. I wish you the best of luck!!

I have also gotten cat's out of spaces by playing with them. Try a ball of yarn or rope or something. Throw the end rubbed with catnip on it toward him, getting as close as possible. Even over his head would work...by having it touch his fur it may tempt him to attack it.Then slowly wiggle it and see if he shows any interest. It will take a while for him to move forward due to the trust thing but with the catnip it may make it happen a little faster. If you can hear him pull it without looking in the hole . If you see him get to the edge of the hole I wouldn't say anything or even make eye contact. Just continue to play until he comes out. Try and set an easy way for him to play and get out at the same time. Have something near the hole to cover it up quickly. Move the toy he is playing with as far away from the hole so you have enough time to get to the hole...without having to jump up and scare him back toward it. I know I am rambling but this has worked for me before...it seemed like forever twirling a rope around but once they came out I grabbed them held and pet and spoke to them....It took a few times and alot of scratches but they are great very lovable cats now. Sometimes they just need a little pushy love to let them know how much we care. Good Luck