View Single Post
Old November 14th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Geek Club CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
This heel was taught with no corrections....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T-WUt6k-ac

Its a much better heel than the one on her father who I did teach with mild corrections.
I have to say that is one d@mn pretty heel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9 Love View Post
How do you manage no aversives with JRT's? You do absolutely nothing when they perform unwanted behaviours? Or every absolute situation, including household you train for?

I've honestly never heard of someone not using aversives at all! LOL. I thought everyone did in one way or another, whether it be ignoring a dog, verbal corrections, I suppose even direct eye contact for some dogs (including one of mine) could be considered an aversive as he will most definitely change his behaviour with an "evil eye stare". LOL.
I'm curious to hear the answer to this question too...because I would put "moving the dog back into position with my hands" or "making an "Ah-ah!" noise" etc. into the "adversives" category as well, if by "adversive" you mean "negative".

We used a prong collar, with great success, when initially working with our oldest to deal with serious dog aggression (what CM would call a "red zone case". Now, we use her regular flat nylong collar and a verbal distraction or a tap on the back is enough to "snap her out of it" when/if she starts to fixate on a strange dog and get her attention back on me/look to me for leadership. I would condider all these techniques adversives, granted on different scales. She gets ample praise for attending to me and keeping the leash loose when in these situations, which I know are still challenging for her.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)