Thread: Veggie Blend?
View Single Post
Old December 31st, 2007, 02:57 AM
Live well, laugh often

Hi stranger, long time no see . Hugs to you and Ben.

I just go into the local produce place and buy whatever is on sale. My favorites are apples, sweet potatoes (or other squash), zuchinni, carrots with the tops, dandelion greens (in season) and kale is also very good for them. I do throw in some broccoli/cauliflower but not to much as it can make them very gassy. Avoid peppers and raw potatoes (not sweet) and limit the carrot volume to about 10% as they can have high sugar content.

If you actually read the labels from the companies that make dog veggies they also tend to mix up the stuff they use according to seasons. Watch out for companies that use stuff like lettuce as it basically provides no nutritional value.

I used to run everything through the juicer and then add the pulp back and freeze in muffin size portions. I now have a food processor which is a bit more effective. I sometimes cheat and throw in unsweetened applesauce as well instead of using real apples.