View Single Post
Old November 14th, 2005, 05:10 PM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

[Yes, QC has finally been shamed into drawing up anti-cruelty/puppymill laws, but with no manpower to enforce them, what good are they?[/QUOTE]
Oh, you mean what's the point then? If we want laws to change - we need to ask for them.

SAMPLE:

PRIME MINISTER PAUL MARTIN
House of Commons
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0A6
Telephone: (613) 992-4211
Fax: (613) 941-6900
E-Mail: Martin.P@parl.gc.ca

Dear Member of Parliament:

I am writing to urge you to vote for Bill C-50. This legislation amends the animal cruelty provisions of the Criminal Code and was introduced in the House by the Minister of Justice in May.

This legislation places crimes against animals in their own section of the Criminal Code, increases penalties for infractions (which can now be dealt with by summary or indictable charges), and removes the need to prove that neglect against an animal is “willful,” before charges can be brought for this offence.

These changes are long overdue. They do not affect traditional animal industries or the rights of hunters and anglers. What Bill C-50 does is bring the Criminal Code up to date and in line with modern community standards.

At the same time, I would urge you NOT to support Senator Bryden’s bill in the Senate, Bill S-24.

Senator Bryden’s bill maintains the antiquated language of 1892, when these sections of the Criminal Code dealing with offences against animals were first written! It maintains that neglect must be proven to be “willful” before charges can be laid: as a result, it is not enough to prove that someone starved a dog to death, for example, but that it was done on purpose. This is ridiculous! Finally, Bill S-24 keeps animals in the “property” section of the Criminal Code. This sends a bad message to potential offenders: “It’s mine and I can do what I want with it.” And it sends a bad message to the Courts, which are often too lenient with crimes against animals.

Please, support the Justice Minister’s Bill C-50 and make sure that it gets speedy approval in the House of Commons! It’s time for this new animal welfare legislation because it reflects modern community standards. Let’s do it right! Let’s do it now! Please, vote for Bill C-50.

Sincerely,

Sign, cut, paste and send. Thank you.

Last edited by Golden Girls; November 14th, 2005 at 05:26 PM.