View Single Post
Old June 1st, 2005, 05:33 PM

Smile some thoughts about this site...me rambling on a little too long, basically

I have a friend that i work with who had been thinking about getting a cat. She was planning on purchasing one or looking through the papers for a free one. She was also planning on declawing. She loves cats but was pretty ignorant about things. I have spent the last few months trying to educate her and found myself reciting a lot of the things i have seen posted here. I just found out today that she got her cat a few days ago. Not only did she adopt from the humane society, but she adopted an older cat (i had been trying to convince her she did not have the time or patience for a kitten) who happened to be the cat that had been at our local HS longer than any other animal. Her boyfriend has also been set to work on making a kitty gym/ scratching post so they can start training her not to claw the furniture...no declawing!

Today i came into my "nursery" to find that two of my five newborn kitten fosters had their eyes open..... the four month old, extremely scared and aggressive feral i have been working with for the past month or so slept with me last night and the founder of the rescue i volunteer with asked me to become co-coordinator of the adoption events. To think a few years ago i was researching puppymills for a random college assignment, horrified that i could be so ignorant about where those cute little puppies i fawned over in petshop windows came from. I had no idea what a BYB was and i had no idea how terrible the pet population problem was. I would have easily purchased a puppy from any person with an ad in the paper when i was ready for my own pet. I guess the point of my post is that education is so powerful and while there are some that may never be open enough to hear the truth, there will always be the people that take that information and do great things for the animals with it. Regardless of the people that come on this site and sulk when they don't hear the advice they wanted, or the people that whine about posters not being nice enough, i have been so amazed by the wealth of knowledge that can be found here. This site has helped me with everything from fostering to my own cat's medical issues and has made me feel prepared and confident enough to start volunteering with puppymill rescues, which is what i really wanted to do in the first place but was nervous about taking on that kind of work. So for everyone who takes a few minutes out of their busy life to help educate someone else: thank you!