View Single Post
Old August 23rd, 2008, 10:33 AM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

IMO, she has probably improved more as she has realized YOU are not going to abandon her, as opposed to getting used to her surroundings. That's not to say environment doesn't affect dogs at all.....I think all dogs struggle when their family has to move. But I think the largest aspect of the improvemnet is because she's learned to trust you are not going to leave her.

Re: helping her manage the move, I haven't been through this, but hope to be soon and have already developed a game plan. I would think with all the boxes and chaos, it is important for the dog to have a space that is theirs and that remains as familiar as possible. That would be the crate. Make it the first thing you set up when you get to the apartment. Add her familiar blankets that smell like the old house, her favourite toys, and maybe an extra special new toy to offer some distraction. That way if she's uneasy or overwhelmed, she can go to her crate full of her things. It may also help to cover it with a blanket if she becomes really nervous.

You mentioned you are getting a new job. Since you have been home with her all this time I think this is where you will have the most difficulty. Will hubby be home with her at all during the day? Are you working full or part-time? I would be prepared for some initial reactions to you leaving. I find it helps to ignore the dog for around ten minutes before you leave - just go about your business like she's not there. When you go, just slip out the door quietly. No goodbye, no eye contact. Let her know it's no big deal. Also have a super special treat ready, like a frozen peanut-butter kong, for her to get right when you leave. It's best for them to only get this treat (whatever you choose) at times you are leaving so they associate you walking out the door with that awesome treat appearing.

I hope this helps! Good luck with the move and congrats on the new job Keep us posted with how things go!
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl