View Single Post
Old May 16th, 2012, 06:35 PM
Floppy Dog

What a lovely gift for your girlfriend!

Regarding CKC/AKC papers, these indicate that the puppy has a recognized pedegree and is descended from other beagles with a recognized pedigree. CKA/AKC registration also pretty much guarantees that the puppy is not a result of in-breeding or too closely related breeding. If your girlfriend is not interested in showing or breeding the dog, then they are not necessary.

Ownership papers are a different matter altogether. These indicate that you have legal title to the dog. A simple bill of sale will do the trick so long as it lists the name of the buyer, seller, the amount of money paid for the dog, is dated, signed by both buyer and seller and witnessed by a 3rd party not related to either of you.

If you want to check out the breeder, check on your local beagle association web site. If there's a beagling club in your area (beagling is a form of hunting small game such as rabbits where beagles are the trackers and their human handlers follow on foot). They will ususally list reputable breeders in the area. Check with your local humane society or SPCA, they will also have a good idea if the breeder is reputable. Get references from the breeder and check them out. You can also check with your Better Business Bureau and your local city/municipal hall regarding compalints about the breeder.

You should also ask to inspect their facility. You want to see a clean facility, well ventilated with lots of room for exercise and a separate area for each bitch with a litter. Beagles are hunting dogs, so they can be high energy for their size. You want to ask about the breeding standards such as how often the bitch (mom) is allowed to whelp (it shouldn't be more than once per year), at what age she began to whelp (shouldn't be any earlier than 18 months, and 2 years old is better), how many litters she's had. How is the dad related, if at all? Does the owner have both parents? Ask to see the parents to check their overall condition. A healthy set of parents are more likely to have healthy puppies. Before you check the breeding facility, read up on beagles to find out what kind of diseases and conditions they are prone to (every breed of dog has its problems) and ask the breeder specifically about those. Use your intuition. If you get a bad vibe, don't buy the puppy.

Lastly, about shots. Your puppy should come to you with at least 1 set of shots completed. You should also get a referral to the vet that the breeder uses so that you can get any medical records for your puppy. The vet can advise you about follow up shots, treatment for fleas, ticks and other paricites and any area-specific issues (eg. beaver fever or lime disease) that may be a concern.

In case you're wondering, I did all of this research before I bought my pure-bred American Cocker Spaniel 4 years ago. All told, I did about a year's worth of research before I settled on the breed I wanted.

I try to greet the world like my pets do...boundless enthusiasm, intense curiosity and no concept of yesterday and tomorrow.