Thread: Setters?
View Single Post
Old October 9th, 2006, 03:10 PM
Sasha's Den Rescue

Huh huh ! I shouldn't have looked at this thread...

The Setters we see the most are the Irish, the Gordon, the English and the Irish Red and White. While Setters are active hunting dogs, they are not as hyper as Pointers are. They require exercise in a fenced area since they tend to follow their nose and take off. For having trained both my GSP and my Setter at the same time, I can definitely say my Pointer is much more willing to work than my Setter - my girl is definitely a stubborn little gal ! However, she's the sweetest, gentlest creature ever. She's out of beautiful show lines, but her sire's breeder and lines are more work-oriented.

Show Setters have changed so much, it now seems there are two separate breeds of Setters - the field type and the bench. The field type Setters have much less feathering and are not difficult to maintain. Having a show type, I have learned from the breeder how to groom her and keep her in show condition year-round. Grooming takes about 3 hours and is done every month or so. Keeping the featherings free of mats do call for some regular brushing, especially after a walk in the woods.

I've personnaly never seen a dog with a sweeter temperament than my girl and I would recommend her breed and lines to anyone. There are also numerous Setters in rescue in the US - something we don't have here in Canada. Unfortunately, deaf Setters seems to be very common in rescue.

The Irish Setters have changed a lot in the last 20 years or so - they were overbred and many have become mere shadows of what a true working Irish Setter is supposed to be. The Gordons, however, have never been really popular and don't have these same problems. As for the Irish Red and White, they are relatively new here and the gene pool is rather healthy.

Here's my girl, Artizoé Voodoo Doll Ophélie:

out of AM/CAN CH. ARTIZOÉ ANGEL NELLIE

and Am Can CH Set'r Ridge's Select Gold:

Both sire and dam carry genes from Am/Can Ch. FC Set'r Ridge's Solid Gold, CDX, HDX, MH, CGC, one of the best English Setters of all times:

I absolutely recommend Setter Ridge Kennels, if you want a gorgeous dog who can also work.

Anything else you need to know ?

I think you live very close to Setter Ridge... lucky you LM1313 !