View Single Post
Old May 3rd, 2009, 08:07 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Is your dog very symptomatic, Polar Bear?

I know that HD can be a devastating diagnosis, but it really isn't a death sentence. It can be managed, even in older dogs like your girl.

We've had very good results with glucosamine/chondroitin supplements for joint problems.

Also, watch her weight--a little on the light side of normal is much easier on the joints than being overweight or even on the heavy side of normal.

Moderate exercise is good--and if you can find a low impact activity (like swimming, if she'll tolerate water), that would be very beneficial.

And anti-inflammatory drugs can be used when she overdoes it or seems particularly painful. There is one that can be injected--but for the life of me, I can't remember the name. Senility rears its ugly head again someone who remembers it will jump in soon. However, it's not a cure for HD, just a drug to mitigate some of the symptoms.

Best wishes for you and your girl, Polar Bear

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."