View Single Post
Old August 4th, 2013, 10:11 PM

Thank you MaxaLisa, i was thinking the very same thing!
I suggested the doxycycline during her last visit and the vet allowed it and changed her prescription accordingly, but she only prescribed it for 5 days and we were asked to come back for another check-up after 5 days.
My dog didn't undergo any testing for ehrlichia because I was under the impression that they still didn't have the testing kit available ( this is what they told me a few years ago) and the vet didn't suggest it even after i mentioned the possibility of ehrlichia several times.
I contacted the vet just a few minutes ago and told her I would prefer to have my dog medicated with doxy for a full course (1-2 months,just like my other dogs before) just to be safe, and I also wanted to check with our main vet if this was ok (currently abroad).

She then informed me that we should test for ehrlichia first?! After all those test and multiple visits and medication wasted, she now tells me that they had the testing kit all along?
What i don't like is I could have spent a little less and my dog could have recovered more quickly if we tested her from the start.
My finances are very limited and the vet knows that (I make sure to remind her all the time) but she also knows how much I love my dogs. I can't help but feel like I'm being taken advantaged of because they know I will do anything for my dogs