View Single Post
Old October 28th, 2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
The first ingrediant is chicken meal??? second is chicken?? Here is an explanation of what chicken meal is

[B]Chicken meal is a commonly-used ingredient in pet foods. It is defined by the AAFCO as "the dry rendered product from a combination of clean flesh and skin with accompanying bone, derived from whole carcasses of chicken thereof, exclusive of feathers and skin". Chicken meal is never suitable for human consumption as it is rendered
Turns me right off! sorry guys! and as you all said it is way too grainy for my liking. Good for PC trying to improve the quality though
If the first ingredient listed were chicken, it still wouldn't be the first ingredient, once 75-80% of its weight is reduced by dehydration.

Sabine Contreras, for whom I have much respect, says:
Quote:
In my opinion, as long as high quality ingredients are used, it's not as important whether a dry food contains only fresh meat, or only meat meal, or some of both - what's far more important is your dog's overall diet.

If you feed your dog mostly dry food, with nothing or very little else added - like most people do - I recommend looking for a product that does contain one or more concentrated sources of animal protein in form of meal (either by itself, or in combination with fresh meats). This kibble will make up almost all of your dog's food intake, and if you feed a food that only contains fresh meat, the actual proportion of meat to grains or other carbohydrate sources is very low - and thus species inappropriate for an animal that is a meat eater by nature, with a digestive tract designed to process mainly meats and fat.
On the same page, she quotes the AAFCO definition of poultry meal:
Quote:
"Poultry meal is the dry rendered product from a combination of clean flesh and skin with or without accompanying bone, derived from the parts of whole carcasses of poultry or a combination thereof, exclusive of feathers, heads, feet, and entrails. It shall be suitable for use in animal food. If it bears a name descriptive of its kind, it must correspond thereto."