View Single Post
Old June 10th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Doggie Wench

Some info I found out several years ago when we adopted Penny and brought her to a vet nearby for her boosters...1 year after recieving them, the vet's office called to schedule an appointment for her yearly rabies vaccine. I asked if it was really necessary as I had found some research that indicated otherwise. Of course the vet said yes, it was necessary. I asked if she could check with the manufacturer just to make sure. Shortly thereafter, the vet called back and said that I was right, that particular manufacturer claimed that their vaccine was tested and good for a minimum of 3 years.

I think if a veterinarian doesn't listen to your concerns about over-vaccinating, especially with all the relevant information available to them, then there's nothing stopping you from contacting the makers of the vaccines yourself (simply get the names from your vet). All manufacturers have to demonstrate an immunity duration of their vaccines. Get it in writing if possible and bring it to your vet (although this is something they really should be aware of in the first place if they're administering them ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
How do we politely tell our vets that we don't wish to vaccinate?

I know my vet was not happy with me last Saturday when I told him that I was not vaccinating Puddles, Jasper and Sweet Pea, except for Rabies on Sweet Pea and that was only to bring her back into Canada after being in the States.
"I choose to not vaccinate yearly so I'll skip it this time, thank you."

You are the paying client. Any vet who gets upset with your informed decision, made in the best interests of your pet...well...that isn't very good for business, is it? It would make me wonder if I'm dealing with a saleperson or a health professional.