View Single Post
Old February 19th, 2009, 12:14 AM

catlover2, TacoGrl, and everyone else who helped us,

How do you say I screwed up, except to say, "I really screwed up"

When last I wrote I speculated on 'stroke' - and let my mind wander as though I knew what the cat was experiencing. I didn't have a clue.

After that last message, we went out for evening chores with the horses. For the first time in a week Spartacus came along. As is his custom, at the end of chores he approaches me, turns around and waits to be picked up to have his head petted and his chin scratched. This is a routine we go through almost nightly.

That night I was in for a surprise when after petting his chin my fingers came back with tufts of fur, lots of it - and it stank - putrid.

At that point I realized I shouldn't have poo-pooed Judith when she had told me she'd seen blood on his neck. Well, it turned out to be his chin and he had a lot of it.

We took photos and emailed the vet. Turns out he had a big abscess which popped. Cause? Likely an animal fight and bite - though it could have been self inflicted - no one knows, least of all me.

Today a 15 minute procedure removed the dead skin, cleaned out the infection and left us with a really happy cat. He now has an opening to muscle tissue, which we clean and treat twice daily. Vet claims this type of cat wound will heal nicely (usually) and that it will take about a month.

She is perplexed because he didn't have a visible wound or show blood, or show an elevated white cell count on Friday.

I've learned to 1) listen to my wife 2) try to watch all of the cat's symptoms and 3) don't give up (which we came close to doing Sunday morning).

He's going to stay inside and get his feet on the ground. Right now he's at my feet purring and enjoying life. 3 helpings of chicken livers doesn't seem to bother him either.

Looks as though Spartacus will be with us for more time and we are two very thankful humans - who have learned alot this week from a very tough and loving cat who didn't give up.

Thanks again for all the support. If photos of before and after will help others, I'll post.

Purrs and more,
Dave and Judith - and Spartacus too