View Single Post
Old August 29th, 2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by want4rain View Post

given the option to poop in the toilet of which he has been taught to go in or the littler box sitting next to it.... which do you think he will go for??

perhaps the toilet is the lesser of evils compared to the carpet??

. . .

also... dont go over board on cleaning. just my ever so humble advice. i promise you, there are far fewer things out there to kill you than you think!!!

. . .

also, with feline pine, get yourself some of that cross stitching mesh, perfect for sifting out the pine pellets that havent been soiled so you arent using so much!
Hi Ashley!

I do imagine that if the litter box is sitting next to the toilet, he is most likely to choose the litter box. Perhaps I will test it once we've got the toilet thing down. I will say, however, that I've read a few (not many) reports of cats using the toilet on their own without direction. Usually for urine only and probably because of the scooping/digging instinct which has already been brought up. In any case, it is my utter conclusion that while using toilet use is less natural than a litter box (is any of this really natural?,) it is not dangerous, unhealthy, inhumane, or painful and it comes with a lot of benefits.

I actually agree completely about not going overboard with cleaning. The frequent vacuuming is for the hair/dander I'm allergic) also. And its only about once a week. I believe that germs (in general) contribute to keeping a healthy immune system and that we need regular exposure to prepare our bodies for more the occasionally more severe exposure. I would MUCH rather eat a pinch of dirt than a drop of cleaner. My body knows what to do with germs, but chemicals are poison to my body and cause cell mutation or cell death. And all that antibacterial marketing out there makes the worst sense of all-- what is more resilient in the world that bacteria? What survives in the hottest and coldest of conditions on the planet? What reproduces faster than bacteria? The only smart way to kill everyday bacteria is to have antibodies. Killing bacteria regularly only leads to stronger bacteria eventually! I'm sure you feel similarly, I'm only sharing because... I feel really passionate about it! LOL. Certain things, however, do irk me (mentally) a bit. Probably three things... urine, feces, and bacteria from raw meat. Go figure! LOL! It would not be my personal choice to let cats eat raw chicken off the floor. This means I'll have to get creative in minimizing mess if I switch to a raw diet for Crusher! But it seems so worth it and I can't wait to learn more!! It makes total sense. We eat whole, natural food. Shouldn't my handsome boy? I will definitely look into the raw and homemade food forums.

I love your idea on the cross-stitching mesh!! Thank you!! We try to be very careful about only picking up the poop with the corner of the scoop so that there's minimal waste of clean pellets, and we're pretty successful, but we have to be very meticulous. A mesh scoop makes a lot of sense for pellet litter!

-Tanya

Last edited by globalgourmand; August 29th, 2008 at 03:47 PM. Reason: My name!