View Single Post
Old January 8th, 2007, 01:26 PM

Our pup had colitis when he was younger. I know exactly what you are going through and how frustrating it is. Our vet at the time put him on Medi-Cal Fibre Formula and a round of antibiotics until his poops returned to normal. It worked but more like a band-aid type solution. Once he was off the antibiotics and back to regular kibble, the colitis returned. We switched to a holistic vet and on his advice switched Barkley to raw and we haven't had a problem with colitis since. For some reason, Barkley just couldn't digest kibble properly (we tried about 5 different kibbles - all higher quality). Our holistic vet said that the antibiotics given to Barkley by the previous vet did more harm than good because they killed all the good bacteria in his system as well as the bad and as a result his immune system was very weak and he ended up with a UTI on top of the colitis. It was a real mess. Once we switched him to raw and probiotic capsules, the colitis and UTI went away with no antibiotics required. I notice that you feed both raw and kibble. Would you consider switching completely to raw and see if it works for your dog as well? I know every dog is different, but it might be worth a shot.