View Single Post
Old June 2nd, 2009, 09:06 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Meet Dixon, Durand, Strathcona, and Gleig

Banding Day was a great success ! I took pictures but had to leave the camera at work so I will post them if any turn out! I have to say this was the most aggressive I have ever seen Madam X and she actually connected with the climber in the middle of his back and also on the head on at least 3 occasions..thank goodness they where protective hats!

We have some MIGHT BIG BIRDS on our hands! guess they are feeding well

Here is the update from the site!

Chico did you get to watch live?

THREE GIRLS AND A GUY!

June 2, 2009 - June 2, 2008: Everyone, meet Dixon, Durand, Gleig and Strathcona! Our chicks were retrieved from the nest ledge today by climber John Millar, assisted by Chris Phinney. They were named after two former Falconwatchers, Len Dixon and Don Gleig, and two of the historic Hamilton neighbourhoods the Peregrines use regularly for food trips, and will use soon for training flights. The birds were banded by Anne Yagi of the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources (OMNR). As we expected based on the birds' sizes from the video camera, we have three females and one male, all VERY healthy. Dixon, who weighed in at 690g, is the only male. Strathcona (1014g) and Durand (1040g) are big but Gleig (1049g) is, we believe, the largest Sheraton Hamilton chick ever banded.

Dixon was named for the late Len Dixon who in 1994, while a Supervisor for the Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board, was the first person to identify the unusual bird flying around the Sheraton as a Peregrine Falcon. Don Gleig, who was also very active in the Hamilton Boy Scout organization, was Co-Lead Monitor of Falconwatch in 1998-99 and a Senior Monitor after that. Sadly, Len passed away a year ago, and Don just this past April.

Madame X and Surge were very active during the banding. 'X' was especially aggressive, only settling down when her chicks were returned safely to the nest and the intruders completely gone. In the image at left Madame X is seen giving John Millar a piece of her mind as he gathers the youngsters for their upward journey.

As soon as possible we will have some close up pictures of the chicks. Stay tuned!

The actual on-street Falconwatch will start sometime around June 11-12. As always, volunteers are needed. If you can contribute some time in two-hour shifts over a period of three weeks we would like to hear from you. Please email us at: falconwatch@hwcn.org
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown