View Single Post
Old November 20th, 2011, 10:43 AM

Raw Food Diet for Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
I make my own raw for my cats and it comes to about 1.50 a pound, cheaper than cat food and a whole lot better for them. I get the chicken back bones from a local butcher at .25 per pound and they still have a lot of meat on them. The rest of the meat is what ever is on sale for that week. If it is a good sale, I stock up and freeze the meat until I grind it. I use a scale to weigh the bones, liver/heart and the muscle meat to ensure that I am getting the correct ratio and add a few egg yolks to the mix. In my last batch it cost me $14 and made the equivalent to $80 of Instinct canned.
Hello, Love4himies!

Can you tell me in detail what exactly you use to make your raw food diet, how you go about making it and how much you feed?

One of my three cats, Suvi, is 10 years old and weighs 21-22 lbs. and I want to help him as best I can to lose some of the weight. He is otherwise healthy but he does have an appetite. I just want to be sure that I have him around for as long as possible and have often considered a raw diet (to some extent!) more than just hand feeding him some of my chicken, turkey, salmon, shrimp or ham.

Any advice you can give me as to how to start this process would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

~ Cindy