Thread: Dog whisperer.
View Single Post
Old July 13th, 2006, 12:18 AM

Dog Whisperer Loves Dogs!!

I have to say that I love the Dog Whisperer, and it seems like the people who are criticizing his work either don't understand it or haven't watched his show.

The two most important aspects of his philosophy are about the attitude of the owner and the fact that many behavior problems in dogs are caused by obsession.

I agree completely that the owner's attitude has a lot of impact on a dog's behavior. If the owner feels like they are in charge (that they are the pack leader), the dog is much more likely to respond to the owner's desires. For example, people who think they can't get their dogs to stop barking, very likely can't get their dogs to stop barking. Dogs want somebody to be in charge. And, if the owner isn't in charge, most dogs are stressed by trying to be in charge themselves - stressed to the point of unpredictable and obsessive behavior. Dogs naturally want to please an owner they respect.

I don't think the Dog Whisperer's technique is punitive at all. If you listen to what he's saying, the times he "taps" a dog's hindquarter, it is only with the intention of distracting them from their obsession. He thinks, and I've seen a lot of evidence to support, that much of dogs' misbehaviors are based on them focusing on a distraction and they can't stop themselves. This is obsession. He teaches three main techniques for distracting dogs from their obsession. First, a sound (his is "CH"), then a quick jerk of the leash, then tapping the hindquarter with your foot. None of these techniques are intended to be punitive, they are all meant to be distractors. None of them are done in a pain-inducing or harmful way.

I can't believe anybody would dare to suggest that Cesar Milan does not love dogs. He has 40 of them himself!! He rescues them and works with them every day. He is a strong pack leader, and his dogs are clearly very happy and healthy. They respect his authority and seem very secure and balanced. He would never hurt a dog. If you don't know that, you should watch his shows more, or stop talking like you know what you're talking about. He is a loving person with a beautiful soul who has devoted his life to dogs living happily and with balance.

The main thing that the Dog Whisperer promotes to every owner is walking your dog every day. He thinks the exercise is important, but even more important is the opportunity to "follow" their pack leader. He sees walking your dog as a way to enhance your position as the respectable leader. He sees it as an opportunity to be in charge (i.e. keep the dog close and under control, not running free on a long line). He also sees it as an antidote to dogs' obsession. Their natural desire to walk and follow is very balancing to them.

Watching the Dog Whisperer was a big part of my motivation to get a dog. I saw an opportunity to develop a strong relationship and wonderful bond. Knowing I am in control and that my dog obeys me is hugely reassuring to me. We have a very healthy relationship that I cherish. He completely trusts me because I am consistent, leaderful, and in charge.

I really love the Dog Whisperer. I had to write because I passionately believe that his philosophy and techniques are logical and empowering. I highly recommend his shows to anybody who has a dog.