View Single Post
Old July 21st, 2005, 09:42 PM

Thank you for the quick responses ,,,as a part of the adoption process throught this rescue shelter , you have a week or two with the dog in the house to decide if you're right for each other , so i was wondering what the pro's / con's were to this mix , that way we have an idea going into the week long ,or more , visit.

I have no problem with the dog following me around ,, i like the company and have missed it since i put my lab/border collie down a couple of years ago.

We're looking at a smaller dog as our earlier mix was a great dog , but a little to large for our liking. Also i need to get out and get more excercise due to high blood pressure , high chloresteral and extra baggage around the waistline LOL ,, so something with a little extra energy would be the ticket for me. I'm stuck inside all day and sit in front of this thing to much at night and need to get out and do something ,, a little fellow would be perfect for a nice long walk at night.

I've read up on the JR but don't really get a good drift on the SZ when it comes to it's character traits.

I'm just afraid that the family will fall in love with this little ball of fur and have a hard time giving it up at the end of the week ,,,,but there's four adults in this house so there will be plenty of people around to get the little guy out a few times a day. I'm just afraid of what i read about what the JR's can be like off the leash and allowed to run. I guess a lot of training will be ahead of us.

Once again part of the adoption is a 8 week course to help dog and family adjust to each other and to give tips on how to train them in their problem areas , plus they're big on making sure that the dogs stay adopted and encourage the new owners to contact them with any problems and they'll help with any suggestions.

I'm hoping that the SZ will be more of a dominant feature with this mix and maybe balance out the JR side ,,,but we'll see.

Thanks
Gord