View Single Post
Old September 30th, 2007, 09:34 AM

There are different types of fats. Omegas & olive oil, for example, are essential fatty acids, which if given too much (Omega 3), can be toxic. Their bodies require these, but only in certain amounts. Some dogs have an essential fatty acid deficiency (an internal dysfunction), so they require additional supplementation. For instance, Aspen has Seborrhea, so she has to take a veterinary strength Omega 3, 6, 9 supplement daily. Goldie does not recieve or require any additional EFA supplement. If dogs are on a super healthy food & do not have problems with an EFA deficiency, then they do not need an Omega supplement.

Coconut Oil is a saturated fat (medium-chain fatty acid), that is not toxic at any level given. Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil refers to the way in which the coconut oil is processed-this is the statement you want on the jar. This is beneficial for any dog (I don't know anything about cats). Kibble does contain some fat, it's not the same as a healthy spoonful of a concentrated source of saturated fat-adding some of this to their food will only benefit them (if given the correct amount). Here is the slip I give my clients who purchase this:

WHY GIVE NUTIVA ORGANIC EXTRA VIRGIN COCONUT OIL TO DOGS?

-A healthy source of saturated fat (medium chain fatty acids)
-Provides energy & aids in weight loss
-Dramatically improves skin & coat health
-Possesses natural antifungal properties
-Helps reduce symptoms associated with allergies
-Aids in healing minor skin abrasions and bug bites

HOW TO FEED:
a) For dogs & puppies weighing 10 pounds & under, start with 1/4 teaspoon per day for 1-2 weeks. Gradually work your way up to 1 teaspoon per day.
b) Feed 1 roughly tablespoon per 30 pounds of weight. But, introduce it gradually, starting out with a few teaspoons for 1-2 weeks & then working up to however many tablespoons they need for their weight. It may be given in liquid or solid form. (Mine lick it off the spoon)!
*If you introduce too much of this product too soon, it may result in loose and/or runny stools. It takes a week or two for their stomachs to adjust to the richness of this food. If this occurs, reduce the amount given & work up from there.

Last edited by Goldens4Ever; September 30th, 2007 at 09:40 AM.