Thread: Oral cancer
View Single Post
Old October 4th, 2008, 02:54 AM

Oral cancer

My cat Snowball, who is 15 years old, has just been diagnosed with oral cancer. Apparently there is a tumor under/on her tongue. This cat is the absolute love of my life and as hard as it was to hear, I'm glad I now have a name to her problem instead of just unanswered questions. The vet seems to think that it developed since her last visit (a month ago) but I think it's been about 2 months because that's when her eating habits changed (her eating slowed down and I had to switch her to wet cat food so it was easier for her).

As much as I don't want to believe it, I know the end is near for her and I'm watching carefully for the day that I have to do something about it. I cried pretty much all day yesterday but then kind of woke up and realized that she's not gone yet and I need to enjoy her while I still can.

I'm wondering what the usual time-line is for something like this. I don't want to be constantly thinking that she'll be gone tomorrow... so I just need some sort of time given to me. Do cats with oral cancer generally last a year? a week? a month? I know each case is different and I am constantly watching to make sure she's still purring (she is such a purr-er), eating, pooping, and drinking... but I feel like I need something so I don't go crazy here.

Any info would be much appreciated.
Attached Images