Thread: Possible IBS
View Single Post
Old September 11th, 2012, 09:08 AM

Possible IBS

Hello,
I would appreciate any advise that you can give me on this.

Several months ago my cat had a nasty bout of diarrhea. It firmed up some, but she still had soft poops and some gas.
I took her to the vet. She had lost some weight. A full blood panel was done. Everything was within the normal ranges.

She tried flagyl, penicillin, pro-pectin tables, centrin, drontal, suggested a food containing some starch, all over the next couple of months.

It improved some, but still occasional soft poop and gas.

She then sent blood work to a Gastrointestinal Lab in Texas.
That found cobalamin was low, pancreatic lipase immunoreactivity was normal.

She then did B12 injections once a week for six weeks. I am to continue with that once a month.

Through process of elimination, she feels that it is IBS. She has given a Depo Medrol injection and suggests this once a month.
It helps some but still not normal.
I really don't want her to be on steroids the rest of her life but the vet feels you have to weigh it out.

She is almost 11 yrs old. Her appatite is strong. She seems to feel fabulous. For the last several years has only been fed high quality wet food, natural balance, wellness.

I bought some slippery elm bark capsules. I am not sure how to administer it or if I should. Can I put it in a spoon of chicken baby food? When do I use it.
I read that it can hinder the absorbtion of nutrients

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I don't know what else to try. I just want her to feel better.

Thank you