Thread: TO at Global!
View Single Post
Old January 11th, 2007, 01:05 AM

OG, it's not about more meat and less meat or whatever. It's about having a food with "exotic" ingredients so that we might have a chance at fixing our dogs with allergies. I can't feed chicken at all. And I can't feed barley and wheat. And Jemma got really disgusting on Evo RM. REALLY disgusting- dandruff flakes of more than 1 cm squared, even with salmon oil supplementation ($$$). So what's next? Right now, she's on Barking at the Moon, despite how I feel about the company because there is NOTHING left for her, other than raw and home cooked which I am not in a position to give right now. And Boo already can't tolerate the BATM.

So what are my options? DVP which has 21% protein and very limited ingredients, or Timberwolf, which has a slew of ingredients, none of which my dog is allergic to yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota bison
Fresh Bison Meat, Salmon Meal, Millet, Sweet Potatoes, Oats, Flaxseed, Carrot, Watercress, Spinach, Celery, Parsley, Fennel Seed, Wild Salmon Oil, Atlantic Kelp, Alfalfa, Potassium Chloride, Currants, Cranberries, Pears, Figs, Thyme, Anise Seed, Ground Cinnamon Bark, Fenugreek, Garlic Pieces, Sunflower Seeds, Sesame Seeds, Apples, Chicory Root, Spirulina, Choline Chloride, Lecithin, Probiotics: (Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Lactis, Bacillus Bifidum, Streptococcus Diacetilactis, Bacillus Subtillus), Taurine, Mixed Tocopherols (a source of vitamin E), Lysine, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Thiamine, Methionine, Carnitine, Niacin, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Iodine Proteinate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine (a source of vitamin B6), Cobalt Proteinate, Papain, Yucca Schidigera Extract.

PROTEIN: 26% FAT: 16% FIBER: 3% MOISTURE: 9% Kcal/kg: 3,680 OMEGA-6 FATTY ACIDS: 3.8% OMEGA-3 FATTY ACIDS: 1.4% CALCIUM: 1.4% PHOSPHOROUS: 1.1 VITAMIN A: 22,000 IU/KG
Fine it has more grain. And? So the dog doesn't digest it, and it passes through, and? When I buy a food, I don't buy it for the fiber. I buy it for the meat and other ingredients. Frankly, salmon meal and salmon oil are good ingredients for my dogs. They have done really, really well on them in the past, and instead of paying $75.99+ tax for Evo RM as well as another $30/month on salmon oil to try to get their coats semi-reasonable, I'd rather pay $70whatever and get the wild salmon IN the food already, even if there are grains.

So before you whip out canidae all over the place, there are a ton of dogs out there that can't go near it. And this is the food we look at instead. We would look at the Canidae lamb and rice, but being that there are less than 4 ingredients before the first fat and that increases the risk of bloat, we choose not to take that risk.

I don't know.. I guess I'm just tired of being talked to like I'm a moron for liking a food when my options are so limited.

Last edited by Prin; January 11th, 2007 at 01:08 AM.