View Single Post
Old August 24th, 2008, 07:22 AM
chronically insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler View Post
Any luck catching White Mommy Cat for testing?
We haven't decided what to do. I'm thinking that poor little Alex actually caught FeLV at the shelter! When I was there several weeks ago, he and Allan were in the quarantine/intake room. In the cage below them were some very very sick kittens. 2 of the kittens had already died the day I got there and the other ones refused to eat or drink or even move. I had to help tube feed them and give them fluids.

I think that somehow a transfer happened and maybe when we were taking one of the sick ones out of their cage they spit boogers into Alex's holding cage and it got in his water or something.

I think the last 3 kittens died as it is so FeLV seems likely. =/

I also feel like I may have cross contaminated because I was washing my hands and sanitizing but maybe I screwed up and after touching one of the sick ones was like "oh hi Alex!" and gave him a quick pat on the head. It has been enough time since them for that to be possible that he caught it that way.

I'll have to see if the other littermates that did not go to the shelter yet had FeLV.

Oh and what I'm rambling about is White Mommy Cat just had a litter of kittens a few days ago and we can't find them. We keep trying to get her spayed but she thinks she's to smart for us

If she tests positive we were likely going to have her euthanized (never thought I'd have to say that about one of my ferals!), but if her babies are out there, it'd be wrong of me to have them die by starving, exposure, being eaten etc. We were waiting to find the babies first so if they all have FeLV I could just have them put down humanely vs the babies dying horrible deaths out in the woods.

If they are negative obviously I'd just take over with the kittens bottle feeding her and get her an emergency spay so I don't have to deal with this anymore!

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009