View Single Post
Old October 7th, 2005, 09:36 PM

It's seems to me that it is really extreme to give up a dog after ten years because she didn't get a long with other dogs in the house. I'm wondering if that is the real reason or just the reason given.

Dogs often pick up on the owners nevrousness and react to it. Also, some dogs will carry on when they are held back and don't if they are allowed to investigate the other dog. I now it is hard to relax when you are unsure of a situation, but try to do so and see how the dog reacts.

I think that DLR could be right and muzzling the dog if she actually hasn't done anything is not the best thing to do. Most shelter's socalize the dogs with each other. Did this happen with her? If you she did it would indicate that she is most likely ok with other dogs. If they didn't find out why, was it because of what the owners said or was it because they encountered dog aggression issues with her?

If it would make you more relaxed and feel more confident when dealing with her, perhaps having a trainer come to your house for a couple of sessions would help.

DLR is also right, you are to be congratulated for taking a senior dog, not many people do.