View Single Post
Old June 5th, 2004, 11:23 AM

Arrow New to Group, Allergy questions and homemade petfood

Hi there, I am new, just signed up yesterday and have a couple of different ??'s. I have a 7 month Shih Tzu who has had uncontrollable itchiness and hence scratching basically since I brought her home. I have been to 3 different vets (have recently moved and found a good one who kind of has things semi under control). Our latest endeavor has been 2 months on Hill's Ultra Allergy Free z/d with no treats or snacks. (although I have a small bag in the cupboard she Thinks are snacks. She went through a series of antibiotics because she was in rough shape, scab-wise. She is now on Prednisone, 1/2 a pill every second day. In the past couple of weeks, she seems to have developed the itchy/scratchies again. Not as bad as at the beginning, but enough to make her uncomfortable and to drive the household nuts. (she has several nicknames, knowing them all, from Thumper, HotSpotSally, the Itchy and Scratchy Show) I have checked around the net for info on homemade food, and most of the sites promote raw meat versus cooked. I did cook her some burger last night, mixed it with rice and she gobbled it up like crazy. Although I know its too early to affect the itchiness, that I will have to wait and see. I know she will need some supplements as well, and am wondering if there is anyone else who deals with this problem? and if so, how do you do it? She is a lovely dog, personality is great and its so hard to see her in such discomfort. Is this a common occurance in this breed? She is the first small dog I have owned, our last one had to be put down, my lovely Pitty Zoe. Anyhow, sorry for the long post, looks like a novel, not a post at all! Someone please help!