View Single Post
Old January 7th, 2011, 12:00 PM

Thanks Maxalisa for your concern. Yes I am really aware of the added oils and am being really careful of how much I add. I noted that statement in the diet about the fact that you needed a huge amount of O-3's to be practical to add to a diet and you shouid get it from other sources like kibble. The vitamin/mineral supplement I'm giving him gives him some additional O-3's. So far he's doing well with the diet, no extra trips outside except yesterday when it was snowing, he loves snow. I've kept an eye on the tenseness of his belly and his poops to make sure they are formed with no signs of diarrhea. He seems comfortable and anxious to be fed. He's also demanding his treats at the usual time. So far so good, the diet may not be completely balanced but I am trying the best I can to stick to that diet. The veggies are not going over well at all, but I have slipped a small amount in mixed with the sardines and I'm trying to add more each day. He is such a finicky eater though and very aware of any additions. He goes off and pouts with his back to me when I add something he doesn't like. It is hilarious, but he is so stubborn he doesn't back down or later start to eat what I've given him, he just refuses to eat the meal. I now give in and make him another meal after a few hours because I think it better that he eats, than not. We have gone through this since I adopted him, if I give him something he doesn't like. A few times I waited overnight but he still didn't eat the food he didn't like. It's like having a 2 yr old child again LOL

Thanks for asking hazel I appreciate it. The last few days he seems stronger than he was and his gums are pinking up. He has gone back to his usual behaviours (or misbehaviours) and has been barking at the cats and preventing them from getting at his treats or food which was his usual game.When I put his food down for him he usually lies about a foot away for about 15 minutes and waits til a cat heads toward the dish and then barks at them and chases them away. He is also more active and has been insisting on going outside to relieve himself (he has to go down and up 4 stairs both in and out). His limp is limited to an occasional slight limp when he's been really active. He seems better, but I still have to remember his blood work was very abnormal and though I may have improved his hemoglobin and anemia status, I doubt I've done much for the cancer. It's hard to tell I notice his hind end is stronger since I increased the dose of metacam to reflect his increased weight. I think I mentioned in one of my posts that there was a little drainage from his right elbow and after that he didn't seem to limp any more so I assume that is where his injury was though there was nothing obvious when I took him to the vet.

For those of you who believe as I do that "things always happen in three's" I am still waiting for the third thing. One of my gf's had her 10 yr old cat die in her arms last week and the second gf had a second surgery on her cat for cancer and the wound didn't heal so they had to put her cat down the other day after trying palliative application of healing cream to the open incision for several weeks to get the wound to heal.

I'm just keeping my fiinger's crossed that he lives longer than he was given when he was diagnosed 2 weeks ago. At least he's getting a super diet and everything he could ever want in his last few weeks and I'm doing everything I can to keep him alive.

Thanks all