View Single Post
Old October 16th, 2005, 11:02 AM

I don't feel comfortable assuming what the vet's idea of "colic" is - bloat, "gastrointestinal problems", etc. Colic is abdominal pain. It is a symptom, not a diagnosis. JMO, but I think Chris is entitled to a diagnosis and more info than what he's been given. In all fairness to the vet I also think that he/she could be more proactive as well.

I don't know how far Chris is, whereabouts are you at (town, state?)? Again JMO, but this dog still has colic, and Chris' description sounds like the pain is substantial...my feeling is this is not something that should be ridden out, and a dog displaying this severe pain should be getting pain relief...firstly because it could very well be life or death, and secondly because it's inhumane to allow an animal to suffer like this. Assumably there are advantages to living in an isolated area - maybe it's cheaper? But a disadvantage is having a long drive to the vet. I do believe that getting this dog veterinary attention immediately is necessary and has been since the dog first began showing these signs of pain having returned (or never having left).

This dog could very well die, and he is suffering at this point, but alive....you can't just leave this, whether the vet is a long drive or not.