Thread: Rotti Behaviour
View Single Post
Old January 22nd, 2004, 06:35 PM

Question Rotti Behaviour

Don't get me wrong, I love my Diesel, but I have several questions about his behaviour. First of all, he is almost 1 yr old, and 110 lbs...very large....and beautiful I might add.

Anyways...to start off with, he was very sick as a puppy with parvo....near death. The vets kept telling us nothing was wrong...and finally we made an emergency stop and the one vet said if we would have waited one more day...he would have died.

Since he healed (the miracle puppy), and we paid the massive vet bills, I think we might have spoiled him too much at first, just for the sheer pleasure of knowing that he was alive.

Anyways, many people told us at first to put him in school, and socialize him, and we did immediately. As soon as he was able to be around other dogs, and he did great, passed everything and got along well with the other dogs. Now (a few months later), he gets upset and aggresive with almost every dog he meets, and people think that we are doing things wrong, but we did everything we were told to do......so, is this just their temperment? Is it impossible to control? One time a dog ran on our property, and tried to fight with Diesel...could this have initiated it?

Also, I was wondering about methods of discipline (not physical of course). At puppy school, they told us to give him "time outs" in his kennel, and we do, but it doesn't seem to matter to him...its almost like having the time out is worth the fun of getting into trouble. Along the same lines, he is beginnig to stand up for himself more and more, and he only weighs like 40 lbs less than I do....sometimes making things difficult.

Any suggestions would help a lot!

Thanks