View Single Post
Old June 13th, 2006, 08:01 PM

I haven't posted for a long time because I have been very busy but I know what you are going through.I am having the same problems with my 9 month old Shepherd/Collie Jasper but I am working very hard at it. We also renovated and he has chewed cupboards, drywall,doors,flooring and my coffee table. I tried crate training from the start but he freaked everytime, howling and barking all night. As long as I let him sleep in our room he is great through the night.Since he hates his crate so much I have used it to train him with his destructiveness. When he does something bad I let him know it's wrong and he goes in his crate and I put up with his howling and barking but it has worked. It only took about one month and he hasn't destroyed anything in the house since April 17. He still helps me with gardening by digging up the yard but we are working on that also. Everytime I saw something chewed up I felt like giving up too, but I decided to keep trying everything I could think of to try and stop this behavoir. Everything I did may not work on every dog but it worked for me and I now have a great dog. Please continue trying.It was a lot of work but well worth it. Here is Jasper. Don't let his face fool you, he can be a handful.
Attached Images