View Single Post
Old February 9th, 2008, 10:00 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Lepto tie-in

Just a short update. Ridge is on her way in for her 5 week checkup. In the past few days, we've noticed lumps on the bridge of her nose that weren't there right after the scabs came off. We were hoping it was just some scarring, but yesterday they were definitely bigger. No oozing, though.

So I suspect we'll have at least another 2 weeks of antibiotics to get her through. She's really tolerating the clavamox well, but may have to switch to cephalexin now (I hope not, though )

Since she developed her folliculitis, two of the other dogs were diagnosed with leptospirosis and the third one we ran a titer on as a random check came up with at least an exposure, if not an active case (won't know which until/unless we run a second comparison titer). I know that there are sometimes skin complications with leptospirosis. Now I'm wondering if Ridge's difficulties are somehow connected to the early stages of a lepto infection? Anyone have any experience with this?

(And before anyone gets unduly worried, the only symptoms we've seen for the lepto (unless Ridge's face is one of them) have been very mild lethargy and an increase in water uptake. We caught it early! So the prognosis is excellent.)

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."