View Single Post
Old April 1st, 2010, 11:33 AM

What is my puppy?

Hi,

I'm slightly concerned about my puppy. She is 8 weeks old and looks nothing like a cocker spaniel. Unfortunately I did the stupid thing and took her from a "backyard breeder", who claimed she was a cocker spaniel. I paid no money for her. The mother clearly was cocker, however I believe the father may have been a chihuahua.

She weighs about 3 lbs right now and is 6 1/2 inches. Here are two pictures I just took:

Don't get me wrong. I love Sophie to death, and I will never ever give her up. My only concern is breed-specific diseases and things I should be looking for.

Her anger is a big part of my concern. She seems to be snarling and snapping when she doesn't get her way. She was not socialized properly. The woman told me I had to take her home (she was 5 weeks old) or she would give her to someone else. She had fleas and worms (worms are a given). Since then I have gotten her first set of shots and deworming.

She also used to throw herself at you any time a bag crinkled or you were eating. I have since then convinced her she needs to stay on the ground and eat her own food (I do mix in some home cooked beef or chicken sans spices for her).

I know this is long, but there is just one more thing - She doesn't seem to want to be house broken. I take her outside every hour to let her pee and do her thing, I have tried to pad train her (the woman has said she already was - not so much) and she did not take to it at all. She seems to want to just pee wherever. I just don't know what to do from here.

All input is welcome D: