View Single Post
Old December 19th, 2006, 03:23 AM
sucker for shelter dogs

Gas/vomiting/poop issues with Natural Balance Potato and Duck?

I started feeding our two dogs, Rusty and Raven, Natural Balance Potato and Duck dry dog food 2.5 weeks ago and both dogs are having problems with this food that they haven't had with others. I originally bought a small bag to make sure they were going to like it. All seemed well after the first week so we bought a larger bag. Oddly enough, the kibbles in the larger bag looked different than the ones in the smaller bag even though it was the exact same food. The kibbles in the first bag were darker squares with a nubby surface and the kibbles in the second bag were lighter and round in shape. I have no idea if that's what made the difference but after the second week things started to go downhill. Both dogs starting losing interest in the food and I'm lucky if I can get them to eat at all now. This is especially unusual for Raven, who has always had a very healthy appetite and will eat practically anything placed before her. To make matters worse, Raven has vomited her food up two nights in a row now and Rusty has had constant bad gas since starting on the food. We've also noticed that their stools have been much larger in size and volume since switching foods. Their stools are relatively firm but they seem to be pooping constantly. We had them on Holistic Blend Lamb and Rice prior to this food and switched because we suspect Raven may have been allergic to something in it (she gets the itchies on certain foods) and Rusty was experiencing a lot of gas with it too (despite being on it for 3 months) though not nearly as much as she has been experiencing with the new food. Their stools were much smaller in size and volume on the Holistic Blend.

Thing is, the Potato and Duck has so few ingredients that it's hard to know what could be causing both the gas and vomiting. Here is the full list:

Potatoes, Duck Meal, Duck, Canola Oil (preserved with natural mixed tocopherols), Potato Fiber, Natural Flavor, Salmon Oil, Flaxseed, Lecithin, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Inulin, Taurine, Lysine, L-Carnitine, Yucca, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Manganese Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Riboflavin (Vitamin B-2), Vitamin D Supplement, Folic Acid (Vitamin B).

Of course, we'll be taking Raven to the vet for a check up this week to rule out any other cause for the vomiting but I strongly suspect the food is the culprit given their sudden aversion to it and the gas/poop issues.

If anyone has any thoughts/opinions on what ingredients may be troublesome I would really appreciate it. I'd also appreciate any recs for other high quality dry dog foods suitable for dogs with allergies and sensitive tummies.

Thanks!