Thread: Designer Breeds
View Single Post
Old February 19th, 2005, 11:23 AM
Momof4and6furries

Quote:
Merely buying a Lab and a Poodle and breeding them, and calling the offspring "Labradoodles" (and charging hefty prices) is not how it's done. These puppies are mutts and no one knows how they will turn out or what genetics defects they will have, since the parents have not been titled or probably health tested either.
There's an awful lot of assumptions in that statement.

Actuallly when we were looking for a dog - I looked at labradoodles - did my research and decided that they were too expensive.

But by far what I found was that foundation dogs WERE registered with a pedigree (which means health lines are traceable) and the dogs were health checked. I think it's unfair to lump this particular dog with BYB's.

Here's from one website...most of the breeders had everything I was looking for in a breeder - of course knowing that anybody can write whatever on a website - but that applies to 'purebreds' too.

Thank you for visiting our website. We are a small breeder of the multi-generation Australian Labradoodle.

Our goal is to breed non-shedding family dogs with excellent temperaments. Our breeding dogs are chosen for their sweet and loving personalities. We do extensive health testing on our dogs including hips, eyes, hearts, vWD, and SA. We only breed with dogs who have fantastic health and temperaments

Here's the history

History:
The Labradoodle first originated in Australia when the first intentional purpose bred mating of a Labrador Retriever and a Standard Poodle was initiated by Wally Cochran of The Royal Guide Dogs in Victoria Australia. This breeding was in response to a vision impaired woman whom needed a Guide Dog that would not aggravate her husbands allergies. Of the 31 Labradoodles bred at Royal Guide Dogs, a staggering 29 made it through the training to become certified Guide Dogs. This was an unparalleled proportion for the "new breed" of Guide Dog. When the Guide Dogs had open days, people fell in love with the Labradoodles they saw, and they soon besieged the Guide Dog Center with inquires as to where they could get one of these dogs. Thus became the need for breeders to establish themselves in order to fill the demand, and continue the development of the Labradoodle breed.

Description:
Footnote: It is recognized that during these developmental years of the Labradoodle, not all Labradoodles will meet some of the criteria in this Breed Standard, especially in respect to coat type. It is therefore a guideline which breeders may breed towards as they pass through the generations to the ideal. Conformation is not designated for eye appeal, but as form to function. Correct conformation is necessary to preserve soundness and overall health.

I'm not sure why we're picking on labradoodles here.