View Single Post
Old July 26th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

I honestly think both approaches have good points, and tend to use a combination. I try to focus on positive training and NILF (Nothing In Life is Free - Google it if it's new to you!). I don't use a clicker, but the verbal mark "Good!" - so basically same difference. This has worked very well for my dog Chase, and other than some pulling issues while walking that we are working on, he will typically do all that I ask of him, and I think, because he WANTS to please me.

My new foster Kailey is a different story however. Positive approaches are workign reasonably well in the house and I'm hoping will help bond her to us. But outside, she is VERY reactive with other dogs and distracting her with a treat is 100% useless. In my mind, her behaviour is a safety concern and I am finding that there is NO way to interrupt her focus without a leash correction. That said, a quick sharp correction is one thing, and excessive force is another. I would be VERY weary of any trainer who uses shock collars or choke collars. I use a martingale (which has a small chain portion, the rest is flat nylon). I am personally uncomfrtable with prong collars, but they are much safer for dogs than a choke, and as long as you learn to use one safely and properly, there is no reason not to try it if nothing else is working.

So I hope that made sense....in my opinion positive, clicker-type training is ideal, but corrections have their place for serious concerns. And I would try to avoid trainers that are really extreme with their corrections. GOOD LUCK!
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl