View Single Post
Old March 12th, 2009, 04:53 PM

[QUOTE=maui_blue_eyes;756252]TulipRoxy,

My training methods are very similiar to how you described. Now i don't have to post them!

Quote:
I also wanted to say, my dog is a very free spirit siberian husky, who is very catlike, and often does not want to do things for me. So I think I am biased that way, however I've trained her very well with positive reinforcement, can't force this dog into anything! I am planning on getting her CD in May.
Yes my first dog was a siberian and you can't force them to do anything! I tried with a choker and it just didnt work... whenever she was out of my reach she would do whatever she wanted.
I discovered the clicker with her and was able to teach her all the basic behaviours and even a few tricks thrown in!
Quote:
I also wanted to comment that when a dog displays what we view as aggression, really what they are doing is displaying conflict resolution behaviour. They are using their body language to show that they are uncomfortable for whatever reason (aggression has many causes) and are asking for space. Correcting this, in my opinion, is not a valid option. You WANT the dog to show these signs, otherwise you get a dog who will strike without warning. When you correct a dog who is displaying aggression you are either creating more negative associations with whatever the dog has issues with, or towards the handler, OR punishing the dog for using their natural language. You are not addressing the root of the problem, which is probably that the dog is afraid, uncomfortable, guarding, or perhaps doesn't know how to communicate properly. In my opinion, a better technique than correcting the "aggressive" behaviour, is to figure out why the dog is displaying this language, and correct the root of the dog's issues by counter-conditioning (changing the association of the stimulus from negtive to positive) and desensitizing (getting the dog slowly used to the stimulus, gradually, starting from a point they feel comfortable).
Thank you so much for this... I love how you describe that correcting signs of aggression does not solve the root of the problem but only creates a dog that will strike without warning... and that it adds additional stress. This is so true. When I was younger one of my dogs was fear aggressive and he would nip at peoples heels. I used to correct him for growling and eventually he stops growling but still nipped!

I have defiantely used non positive methods at times to train. Sometimes it just seems easier to tell your dog NO when he barks(for instance)... its relieves your frusteration and it stops the barking for a minute. But this supression is like a bandaid... eventually it falls off. It is a much better idea to figure out why the dog is barking and come up with a solution that teaches the dog alternatives to barking and when it can bark.
Come Visit Us! http://myminizoo.wordpress.com