View Single Post
Old July 15th, 2005, 03:29 PM
Kitty Consort

A fantastic thread! How completely heartwarming these stories are.. and how equally heartwarming to see how members here are so caring, and ofering ideas to assist. Kudos to you for that!

The issue of homelessness is a very disturbing and real issue in all major cities. More needs to be done, and I find it laughable that here in my city, the answer was to lock the dumpsters (so as not to offend the tourists with the mess created) and make illegal to approach anyone stopped to offer window washing, etc or to panhandle. ( wonder how they expect them to pay the fines?) Remove all sources of revenue while offering nothing in it' s place

When society shuns you, an animal welcomes you with love and comfort.
I think the unquestioning devotion of a dog would be appreciated by homeless people in a way that others simply could not grasp.

However, the fact that a person is homeless does not "guarantee" that they are a loving and able pet caretaker - any more than any one "group" in society. They may be or may not be, but the lack of a home "does" equate into it - in some instances ( imo).
Its a sad reality that a percentage of the homeless have mental health problems, and/or substance abuse issues. This certainly doesnt negate their right to have a dog in any way.. but it "might" hinder their abilty to provide proper care in SOME cases.
If judgement/ reasoning are severely affected, the person suffers. And if they have animals... they may too. Untreated, they may become progressively more ill, less able to care for themselves, much less a pet. And for the homeless the dangers pose more risk by far.

Another troubling aspect for "this" segment of the homeless is that they are often in out of various rehab facilties and psychiatric hospitals - even jail. (petty crimes can be borne out of desperation) These are not always planned (or optional) stays.

What happens to their dog? Are they impounded?
How tragic this would be for both :sad:

Here, food banks have dog and cat food available, and the local SPCA's also will provide food for anyone who is unable to buy it.

A highly publicized case last year involved a woman who was living in a car whose dog was seized.
I believe there were other factors, but it raises the question - can a car be fairly considered a home?

Last edited by Shamrock; July 15th, 2005 at 03:40 PM.