View Single Post
Old May 2nd, 2005, 10:31 PM
Kitty Consort

Hi Mona, and Prin - thanks.

Mona...you were right!
This might sound ridiculous, but as this began suddenly in the middle of the night, and the dog sleeps with me... I was worried that perhaps I had somehow injured him. He is small - 6 pounds, and has legs like chicken bones.

Just came back from the vet - she believes it is in fact a disc problem - a common occurence in small dogs and particularly poodles she said. The vertabrae are affecting the neck- he reacted strongly with sharp pain in this area when she moved it.
She prescribed the anti-inflammatory Metacam for him, and if this doesnt help, he can be re-assessed. Apparently some dogs just stay on the Meticam permanently, or another med.
If the condition persists, more testing and surgery is an option she said - if the animal is suffering really adverse affects

As he came to me as an adult stray, his age was just an estimate, and apparently not very accurate.
The general concensus now seems to be he is at least 11 or 12. As a senior dog, I'd prefer not to risk surgery. Hopefully this will subside now, and not become a chronic problem.

Thanks again for your input!