View Single Post
Old November 22nd, 2012, 06:12 PM

I'd definitely recommend some training classes. Not only are they are a great way to learn some new tricks and focus exercises, it's also a great way to bond with your dog

In regards to his reactions to other dogs, etc during walks - you need build up a threshold for this. The minute he starts to react, it's too late and any learning opportunity is over. It may mean that the minute you notice another dog, you immediately turn around and walk in the opposite direction, praising him the entire time with lots of high value treats. If it's a house that has a dog in the back that is known to bark, maybe cross over to the other side of the street. Anytime your puppers looks at you, give him a treat. If you know people with dogs, it may even help to set up situations for practicing

Livia has this issue right now and I can tell you it has gotten a lot better over the past few months, but it takes a lot of work and patience. We also invested in a halti which was recommended as you can refocus their head away from the distraction - but it isn't working for us! She pulls and lunges so much with it that I'm concerned about neck safety. We're moving to a harness as soon as it comes in