View Single Post
Old April 22nd, 2005, 01:39 PM
banned user

Well rice has a ton of carbs... but probably little calories... usually you can't have both unless it's veggies and lean meat, but it's very hard to do.

I know what you mean about eating out of boxes... that's all my hubby knows how to do also, and he doesn't like many things that aren't boxed so most of the time I don't bother trying.
I do know how to cook and I cook when I can but it's tough cooking for someone that doesn't like any veggies other than corn. He's a meat and potatoes/boxed noodle type person. It gets very boring, not to mention totally not good for you.

I am actually on a somewhat of a low carb diet right now... I am not doing atkins because I don't think you should eat sticks of butter just because it's got 0 carbs and I think everyone needs fruit in their diet also, which is carbs. But I stick to melons and berries, which are lower carbs than say bananas for example.

I am basically getting back to whole real foods, something I think is best in itself. I eat chicken, turkey, tuna (some beef and pork but not as much as the poultry)... some cheese, eggs, occasionally brown rice, barley and oatmeal, but those last things not everyday. Also, as for fruit, mainly berries as I've mentioned above.

I do not eat anything boxed, prepackaged or anything with preservatives. No potatoes, white rice, bread, pasta of any kind, sweets, or sweet fruit, or fruit juices... obviously no snack type items like chips or crackers either.

The only problem with this is the food bill. It's very sad to say but real whole foods cost wayyyy more than your boxed items and it sucks! We are on a budget and this way of eating is kinda costly.

The best way I've found to see what you're eating and the food values is going to www.fitday.com . Make an account, it's free, and then you can pick from food lists what you'd like to eat and how much and it breaks it down as far as where your calories/fat/protein are coming from. It's a great site if you're dieting. Then you can find the best foods for you and find one of those recipe sites where you put in the foods you have and it comes up with recipes for it. I'll look for it and post it if I can find one like that.
Good luck to ya!