View Single Post
Old July 7th, 2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandy View Post
I would have bloodwork done. Constant, low level dehydration can definitely cause kidney problems - and her lack of interest in water could be a sign of some other disease. Has the vet suggested any follow up testing??

You can tell if your dog is dehydrated by checking the gums and by pinching the skin. On the skin, pinch a section on the scruff of her neck and pull it up - when you let go, the skin should immediately go back into its original position. If the skin stays pinched, or slowly returns to the normal position, dehydration is present. On the gums, lift a lip and place your finger against her gum. If her gums feel tacky then she's dehydrated.
The vet did blood work after the first urine test showed it was too dilute. I had enticed with 15 OZ that morning, of course it was dilute. But he insisted it still should not be that much and wanted to check her kidneys.

All that came back good. So he wanted a follow up test. He doesn't seem to be understanding me. I know 15 OZ the day before did not mess up the results for what he was mainly looking for - (whether it was too dilute).

I had become concerned about the other end. He said if I'm worried to bring her in again but he thinks she's fine.

I have done that skin test on both of them many times. The cat has always passed the skin test, and still she has the pre-cursor to K/D. Which leads me to believe hers is not caused by dehydration, but that is another thread.