View Single Post
Old January 8th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Compromised account

Thanks!
Yep, Hazel, you are right, they LOVE switching shells...Sometimes they will fight with each other, bcz one crab wants the other's shell. So the aggressor will grab the shell and try to remove it from the victim, and the victim makes this screeching scratching noise - thats when I come in and separate them to different corners...they don't normally go back to fight. And it happens very very rarely, because they have an assortment to choose from...

They are peculiar little buggars. The shells you see are all natural, just polished. Some stores sell shells that are painted, like my nephew bought one thats painted like Spiderman, but I dont like them, I like AU NATUREL. So yep, I go shell hunting and when I go to Hampton Beach, NH, they have so many to choose from I usually come back with a bazilion of them...lol...and it had cost me some pretty $$'s too! each shell is something like $3-4-5-6 (depending on size and colors), so it adds up pretty quick.

The funnest is to watch a crab change shell...He will lift it, inspect it inside out, measure it (he literally sticks himself in to see how it fit) and then finally if he is happy - he will walk away. Some crabs are funny, they change, but a day later I see them back in the old shell. Or one will change and another will steal his old shell! LOL