Thread: Luba
View Single Post
Old March 25th, 2004, 08:21 PM

I am glad to hear that little Sadie prefers going close to home too - Molly refuses to go when on a walk and instead will hold it all the way until we get home. I try to keep her out longer but man, she's stubborn

As far as housetraining goes, I had her paper-trained and then when teaching her to start going outside I blocked off the area where she used to go and then she learned to signal to go outside. Whenever I caught her 'in the act' I would stop her and run her outside and have her finish there and then give her lots of praise.

However, when I later opened up her old area she started going in the house again After much research, I learned that if you re-define their favourite spots then they will stop. That may help, you can either start feeding her in her common places or make it her play area. Worked for me.

Also, one thing I also learned (I am sure everyone knows already but actually made a difference for me) was to never clean up messes when Molly was watching. Apparently it sends a message to the dog that it is okay. Vinegar is also a great suggestion.