View Single Post
Old September 20th, 2007, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberKitten View Post
if the person cannot afford the kitty, they will not likely be able to afford other necessities like vet care, et al!
Are you ever right on that one! Last month, one of my cats got sick, kidney failure. He was hospitalized for 4 days for tests, rehydration, and shots to give him appetite. I learnt how to to the rehydration myself at home, and to give him a pill to give him appetite. He still wouldn't eat. A few days later, We went back to the vet, and he had more tests. His numbers were getting worse. They tried sticking food in his mouth but he acted as though he were facing his worst enemies. They suggested hospitalizing him again and forcefeeding him. I refused, I didn't want to put him through so much anguish.

I held him as they put him to sleep. That's really what it felt like, just a slow drift off. I'm crying as I write this. He died August 30th, and it still hurts like the devil.

Getting back to your statement, Cyberkitten, I couldn't agree with you more. People who say they can't put out 150 dollars for a fixed young cat can't afford to have a cat-- or don't care enough about the animal to spend what needs to be spent on them: good quality food, shots, other vet care.

I have 2 other cats, btw. People tell me to lavish more attention on them. I've been doing that, but I still miss him terribly and I don't think he's replaceable.

Sorry for the thread drift. I've been trying to psyche myself up to take on one of the somali cats because I've always wanted one, but I don't feel up to it yet.