Thread: Toyger?
View Single Post
Old October 19th, 2007, 08:13 PM
Senior Contributor

I have listened to both sides of the T debate and have friends on both sides so won't comment on it. It is a breed and like the Sphynx breed - which was not engineered but a mutation alike many - I suspect that is how the Siamese came to be as well - as did so many cat breeds - but I am not fond of specifically creating a specific breed to satisfy humans. What does it do for the cat?

However, of one wants a Toyger, I suppose that's all well and good. Keep in mind they are not yet accepted by all groups in Canada. I do worry about this statement on one of the official pages about them:

The toyger cat is a domestic tiger-look a-like. It is a designer breed o f cat bred with the demands of modern apartment life as a human companion foremost in mind. Glittered, pelted, dramatic pattern appeals to both the high-tech glamour and nature-loving, wild dreams of city-caught people. The laid back, easily trained character of these cats make them a joy to live with.

The toyger cat is a breed in development. Recognized by The International Cat Association ( TICA ) for Registration the goals for the breed are long term. Several of the features proposed for the Toyger cat have never before been recognized as possible in a domestic cat. Progress is slow but steady in all areas from companionability to appearance.

Again, why create a cat FOR humans? should we not be developing better breeds FOR the cat's benefit??????? Just my take on it as an ardent cat lover!

I see no difference between a tabby and a toyager except human intervention and cost. And of course, any scientists who claims s/he can guarantee the personality of a cat is needs to reread the principles of scientific ethiocs.

Just mho!