Thread: Laura
View Single Post
Old May 15th, 2004, 09:16 PM

A comment was made that people who have been posting here longer are the ones who are treated better. Obviously the people responding have gotten to know the other poster better and have already formed an opinion of that person as a responsible pet owner based on their many posts. There are questions that are already answered. I think in the case of new posters that often there is missing information and the post sounds worse sometimes than it is because the person hasn't explained it the way they meant to.

What I don't get is that people don't get that this is an internet bulletin board that they could also offer their own opinion on if they so choose.

There is a lot of great opinions on here, and yes they can be very strong in some areas, but to me this seems to be in the right areas generally. And sometimes people misunderstand the original post, which is understandable if there is missing information. I think I have put my foot in my mouth once or twice myself because I've missed out on some of the person's earlier posts.

I like posting here because there are interesting different viewpoints. Plus, I think if I talked this much about my pets anywhere else I'd drive people nuts.

If someone feels that they can't assert their own opinion and they don't like the discussion they can choose not to participate at any point.

And sometimes some posts just seem so fake to me it's not even funny! It's like some people are just looking for an argument. There seems to be a couple of extremes in these types of posts, either they spent 4 million dollars on their prizewinning cat's vet bill at the age of 9, or they are barely literate breeders (having internet access of course but the nearest vet is impossible to reach) bragging about their lack of respect for reproducing animals.

My advice is respond and participate where you want to and give your own opinion where you feel is appropriate or if you don't like the discussion don't bother with it. It's really quite simple.